Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Sassy

It's raining here. No, *really* raining! The grass got just a tiny bit green today, softening up from the hard crunchy prickly brown it had reluctantly grown to accept. Those peas better get growing! No excuses now!

We came up with one solution for the hungry deer: extend the poles holding the chicken wire fence, and string twine in two parallel rows above it, high enough so the deer can't jump over. Then, tie large strips of plastic from grocery bags (so far the Aldi one is the sturdiest) at regular intervals so that if deer want to lean down they have to push through plastic. Not a barrier, just a deterrent. So far, so good! Let's see if it works. Our neighbors are a bit perplexed by how ugly it is; one even offered us a fence. Ha! We laugh at fences! Ha! I haven't peed around the perimeter yet.

But the rain has reminded me of how I miss the woods and walking and green things. The smell of real wet earth and ozone and hearing thunder with lightning was enough to relax my whole body, and make me stop and just watch the sky without anxiety or worry or stress about money or kids or laundry or whatever the hell else is plaguing my bunched-up cranky mind these days. And I almost started to feel happy about riding in a car with an infant and an energetic 4-year old for days on end in a few weeks.

And a mama who shops at the co-op approached Chris at work and conspiratorially told him she didn't know his partner was so sassy. Well! Little does she know how sassy I *really* am.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The rain felt soooo good.

    And everything felt better today, softer.
    I am also glad to hear that the dear have backed off.

    We should get together before you leave. Tuesdays or weekends work well for us. Except that we are headed into the north woods next weekend with my crazy family. Anyway, let me know.
    Louise

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger Skim said…

    Not sure when we can work it out to get there again, but it would be nice to see you all. I'll email...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home