Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Read and shriek

One of my interesting relatives made sure I read this guy: joe bageant and his essay
And because I love to share, I thought you should know about him, too. For someone who name drops timothy leary, his writing is sharp and left. And full of fire! Woo hoo! While you're there, be sure to poke around his site. Very interesting writing.

Ugh. As I was typing this, I heard the sad squeaks of another baby rabbit being mauled by our neighborhood night cat. La la la, I can't hear you! la la la! Here's the backstory:

Yesterday, I notice a very tiny rabbit run out of my neighbor's garden as I am watering my my echinacea. The poor thing runs into the middle of her yard, and sits motionless. It's so small and cute, it could fit into the palm of my hand.

I watch it for a while, keeping its secret. :ater, I notice it's still there, and hasn't moved an inch. Trouble. I tell my neighbor when I see her that she has a rabbit in her yard, come see. We go over and worry over the troubled rabbit. It's in shock, I theorize. Or sick, she offers. She calls her daughter over to look at it, and she feeds it clover. My neighbor then tells me she found two decapitated baby rabbits that morning in her garden. Cat!

I've known about this cat since last summer, from foot prints, but this is concrete evidence of feline hunting and killing. The wanton blood lust of cats destroying a vulnerable rabbit hutch. My neighbor doesn't believe me, but humors me anyway. The baby's sibling chooses this moment to run out and nibble in my raspberries. It is even skinnier, so tiny! Eventually the stunned-not-sick rabbit #1 goes back under the shed to hide. But that night, I hear the awful shrieks of baby bunny death. Eee! Eee! Eee! May you never hear this, friends.

And tonight, again. How many more can there be?

3 Comments:

  • At 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Baby rabbits do have the most bone-chilling scream.

    As to the essay...In corporate America, "the people" have only two identities: Slave or consumer. We have many euphemisms for these but it's all the same.
    The Terminator future of a world taken over by machines is here now. Only corporations are those machines we've lost control of. We built them to serve us and now they own and destroy us.
    Unfortunately, I can't help but take the red pill.

     
  • At 1:03 AM, Blogger Phoebe said…

    aw, my cat did that one year.

    every night, another murder. there were four.

    (dropped in via your mdc sig. i uc. i totally agree, the uc board makes mdc look positively wal-mart :-D )

     
  • At 9:39 AM, Blogger Skim said…

    glad to see you!

    I think one baby made it. I see a little bunny in the mornings, now, the same one. So the cat left one alive, and the parent, too.

    Maybe the cat will be back for more bunny death, maybe not. If it comes back, I hope it's when we're in IL.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home