Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Deer - again

Well, the deer have discovered the tomatoes. I wondered how long it would take before the destruction of all my beautiful plants would begin, and now I need not wonder anymore. All three tomato plants are eaten down by half, and most of the flowers are gone. The deer ate the tops and sides they could easily reach by leaning over the bunny fence; it's only a matter of time before they eat all of it, I'm sure.

I think I'll plant a couple more plants next to the house, without compost-enriched soil, in the hopes of getting at least a few tomatoes this summer.

Last year they ate everything. But I feel unusually disappointed this time. Logically, I expected the deer but yesterday I just fell in love with those plants - they were so lush, so beautiful, and smelled soooo good. My attachment was too much, I reckon. A giant cosmic lesson.

They didn't touch the bean plants. I wonder when they'll be eaten. Of course, dear readers, you'll be informed as it happens.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We're lucky that squirrels are our largest garden raiders. And they don't actually make their move until the tomatoes are ripe.
    Deer are cute and all but they've gotten to be pretty much country rats. Overpopulated pests. Maybe you should get yourself a pack of wolves.

    Jim

     
  • At 4:38 PM, Blogger Skim said…

    Yeah, I've considered it.

     
  • At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You need a bigger fence. That is the only thing that will save your deerest garden. My dad has finally built a fence that is taller than he is to keep the pests out. But his biggest pest is a 400 lb bear, so consider yourself lucky.

    Louise

     

Post a Comment

<< Home