Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Day 3 of Potty Learning

It's been three days since we began pushing Lola in earnest about sitting on and using the potty. We've felt she has been ready physically for a long time, but could not wait any longer for her to tell us she wanted to use it. I prefer letting the child tell us when she is ready; it's easier for everyone and no coercion is involved. And you all know how I feel about coercion.

However.

We just had to - for our sanity, for our washing, for our electric bills, for our water bills, for everything. At the end, we were washing diapers twice every day. And honey, if you got no money, that's a lot of non-free water and electricity! Plus the joy of balancing dealing with poop from diapers and entertaining the baby while I'm away in the bathroom dealing with poop. I don't miss it.

But this process is extraordinarily difficult. We are realizing just how emotionally attached Lola has become to her comfort object: diapers. At least today she is not hurting me or Pearl, or doing other things to give her an acceptable outlet for her anger and sadness (yesterday was soooo fun). And she is peeing and pooping in the bathroom. Not on the potty seat, but on the floor. It's a big step! She even initiates bathroom time most of the time. "When are we going upstairs to sit on the potty?"

And the fun part? I get to see her big kid body - all of her legs, the muscles in her behind, the shape of her body unmarred by a big, poofy diaper. I love her kid body, and I didn't know how much I missed it since Chris has taken over bathtime after Pearl's birth. And as difficult as this is for all of us, I know she is willing to keep on with it because she won't pee in her nighttime diaper, even in the morning, even though she could. This, too, shall pass. Next month, it will seem old hat. And next week, hopefully, we will make our first forays into the busy world of strange bathrooms and public places.

Wish all of us love and patience. We all really need it.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Whee! Sounds like lots of fun. Sorry I'm missing it. Good luck to one and all.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home