Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Intense Baby

So mama's little baby is becoming, uhm, intense.

I think I am beginning to understand, finally, what is meant by "high needs baby".

A fine example: I make dal, it is in my bowl on the table, and I sit down with Pearl on my lap. She is not really eating a lot of food yet, so I don't have a spoon or anything for her set up. As soon as I sit down, she yells hysterically, breaking into a non-breathing sob difficult to describe. I walk her around, wondering what could have provoked this outburst. When she calms down, maybe 2 minutes later, I go back to the table. But before I even sit she cries again. I leave the table, grab a spoon for her, sit down. She is so happy she smiles and shoves the spoon in her mouth. OK.

She insists on being held the vast majority of time. I do this anyway, so not such a big deal.

She needs to walk and play constantly (good thing).

There are no quiet moments of discord. They are all loud, shrieking, screaming, sobbing, crying, fussing, yelling. Quiet to utter despair in 2 seconds, sometimes I can fend it off, sometimes I just have to deal with mad/sad/frustrated baby.

She sleeps for two, 45-minute naps a day. She sometimes won't sleep until 11:00pm, waking up at 7:30. She wakes a lot at night to nurse. She wants to be in the world, RIGHT NOW. On her terms.

And my job is to let that happen. Now, sharing attention with her big sister is proving to be another problem in and of itself. My sensitivity to crying is much higher now, for the better. Some things you just get used to.

6 Comments:

  • At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, I so empathize with the demanding child. Sidney had bouts of being needy on and off for years. Thankfully, this too shall pass and eventually you have this wonderful fiercely independent and opinionated daughter. In the mean time, hang in there. :)

    Lynette

     
  • At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm still a demanding child but somehow Chris manages to cope.
    BTW, hi Lynette what's shakin'?

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Not much. I'll email ....

     
  • At 9:33 PM, Blogger Skim said…

    Oh Jim, but do you yell when she changes your diapers??

     
  • At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'd rather not say...

    Jim

     
  • At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Jim, I thought that was Mama commenting. Try me at lynette at fuzzysweater dot com. I'll email back. You still in Chicago? I assume that life is good?

    Mama - ignore previously sent email then, as it probably reiterates something I sent previously that I didn't think you rec'd....or read it like its NEW and EXCITING information!

    :)

    --Lynette

     

Post a Comment

<< Home