Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The deep well

Yesterday was a terribly cranky day for everyone not at work. No matter what we did, the energy just got worse and worse. Baby was fussy, needy; Mama was tired, intolerant; and Lola was, well, tired and demanding.

After a morning full of power struggles, nap attempts, feeding attempts, sitting attempts, computer attempts, play time attempts, reading attempts, quiet time attempts, I just gave up. Around 1:00 I decided that since baby was going to cry and fuss no matter what we did, I would shower. I brought the bouncy seat up after laying Pearl on the mat in the office, listening to her cry. Hurried up the stairs, put down bouncy seat, picked up baby. Got my clothes ready. Waited a half hour until Pearl was in a slightly better mood. Changed Lola's diaper. Went in the bathroom and put baby in the seat, started the water, and handed her toys to grab and chew. Ignored her initial fussing. Started showering, realized it was a no hair washing day, washing quickly. Then, after feeling like I needed to visually connect with the baby because she would not stop fussing, I pop my wet head out to talk to her. This startled and terrified Pearl, and she began crying hard. The scared cry. So.... I stop the shower, since she's not calming herself, and try to dry off but she's too scared. Still dripping, I pick her up, and she stops crying immediately.

We stand like that for about 30 seconds. The water is evaporating quickly, and I'm starting to get chilly. In the midst of my cold naked wetness, Lola comes in and tells me, "I pooped!". And I'm thinking, Right. The only time all day I really can't put down the cranky baby and you need your poopy diaper changed. Obviously Lola's needs aren't being met elsewhere, I observe.

Somehow I got dressed enough, and got Lola's diaper change supplies together. Since she's a big kid she's got big poops. It's not like a baby's poopy diaper change, where you can just be anywhere. I'm cranky, wondering how I'll be able to put Pearl down again soon. I did change her diaper, and Pearl was entertained for a little while. Like always, I just tried to accomodate everyone's needs as much as possible as often as possible.

But days like yesterday just wear me out. Today I will try to recharge, replenish the deep well.

Maybe it will work this time...

1 Comments:

  • At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Baby, you so crazy! I've been thinking about you a lot today. I sent you an email. Sounds like a very trying day. I wish I could wave my magic "Poopy Away" wand and all crying and poopy would disappear for today. (Cuz I know you'd miss it if it were gone tomorrow). Be good to mama.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home