Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

What is that strange sense of peace?

It's been a while since we had a real winter up here. There was a bit of hard cold in December, early, but nothing challenging since a couple days ago, where the wind chill was -20 or -30F. Seriously, I am crazy because I LOVE the cold weather. My neighbor offered to watch the kids while I ran an errand during this extreme temp, and Ithought, well, why? If I can go, the kids can be dressed warmly enough to hack it, too. After all, unlike me, they were born here! Today, at 19 degrees F at 3:30, it was relatively balmy. Ah, Wisconsin.

Tomorrow is Lola's birthday, and I'm happy to report she is totally excited about wearing underpants and using the potty. There will be some getting used to the whole potty no-diaper thing, but I'm sure it will happen quickly. She's waited long enough so that she can get it without trying too hard, my little perfectionist.

And even though we're really busy doing stuff - cleaning for guests tomorrow, making ice cream, tons of laundry, I am relaxed. Why? Because I had at least a full hour and fifteen minutes of no-crying baby! It took me a while to figure it out, but the total absence of any fussing, crying, yelling or hysterical screaming left me with a strange calm that I am totally enjoying now that she's napping peacefully. I have hope this will happen again. Right?

And have you thought about plastic lately? I have been, and you will see an essay about it in the next issue of mama. Don't forget to buy your back issues from VolumeOne. If you buy them there, I get a bit of $$ and so do they. Support me, support my local arts folks. Spend money, spend money, spend money.... (homage to John Waters pre-movie bit from the Berkeley movie theater right there)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home