Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Self-checkout

You've seen them, perhaps even complained or shouted "Hooray!" for them at your big ol' super grocery stores.
You've seen them at the library.
You've heard about them, at least. No?

Well, Menomonie has joined the age of doodads and gadgets and installed a self-checkout system in our library. No longer do I have to wait in line to have my books and CDs and DVDs carefully and cheerfully handled and scanned by the interesting ladies at the front desk. No longer do I have to worry about hearing positive comments about my 3 year old's book choices or interest in the patch on my bag. No longer do I have to worry about actually talking to someone, at the library. My book searches are online. My account is online. My check-out is on line. Why talk at all?

The thing is, if it made the life of the small-town librarian any easier, I might grudgingly support this recent innovation. But it doesn't! They don't look happy, and they miss talking to us as much as we miss talking to them. And talk is very affirming to a young mind checking out new books.

For example: Lola checked out a book about the Day of the Dead festivities as practiced in Mexico. I was so happy to find this book (Pablo Remembers - The Day of the Dead) and even hopeful she would like it. When we approached the counter, our favorite librarian, Nan, checked out our media. "Oh, the Day of the Dead. You know, that's my favorite time of the year." Lola just felt so cool for checking out that book, and I knew then she'd actually read it. Nan also comments on other books we check out. In our small conservative town, finding a kind of hip, left-leaning, multicultural appreciating librarian is a joy. All discovered through talking.

Information acquisition is not only about the information. It is about how it is shared and encouraged and recommended and questioned. How can we learn just from books? How much richer can our life be when the librarian can say "If you like that, then you might like..."? Damn I hate the information age. I think I prefer the communication age.

Or was that the age of aquarius? The stone age? The iron age? A gilded cage? Ach.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is funny how that sticks out like a sore thumb in a small town. In general I've liked the self checkout at the mega-marts because, in theory, I can get out of them faster if I'm buying a few items. However, often I'm simply frustrated by many people's inability to interface with technology. No one seems able to read directions and follow them.
    The Chicago Public library is still person to person but the people aren't much more person-like than the machines. Guess that's why in the city it doesn't really stick out replacing people with machines. Most people in service jobs sort of mechanize themselves anyway.
    Maybe it turns out we're all living in a Fritz Lang movie.

    Jim

     

Post a Comment

<< Home