Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Adult Time

Because it's important enough to put into its own post, here it is.

For the first time since I was pregnant, 7+ months ago, I was able to have time alone. Pearl is able to wake a bit and not need me right away if I'm busy or away - she can hang out with Chris and Lola and be OK for 20 or 30 minutes. Amazing!

So Saturday after I put Pearl down for her afternoon nap, I got myself dressed. That's it, just me. My coat, my shoes.

Got in the car by opening one door, and then closing it.

Adjusted and buckled one seat belt.

Started the engine, turned up the music as loudly as I felt I wanted to hear it. And sat for a minute in the quiet.

Drove to the library, singing along with the music, not having a conversation with anyone.

Pulled into the parking lot, took off one seat belt, opened and closed one door, walked without watching for small child.

Opened the building door wide enough and in time for only one person, walked into the library and returned the librarian's greeting, do my business.

Walked back to the car, practically giddy by this point, laughing to myself.

It's sunny, and I feel like an adult again.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    amen, mama

     
  • At 12:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad to have been of service. Adult time is good time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home