Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

The story with the happy ending

So even though today is this grandiose gluttony day here in the US, we made good food and enjoyed each other's company all day. In fact, around 11:00 a completely organic, genuine smile filled me as I thought about how the day was going! The first in several months. I get to spend the day with Chris, the baby is so amusing today, Lola is entertaining herself as we cook. This is getting good!

And the best? While putting Pearl down for her nap, Lola kept at me to have a nap, too. I've been selfishly denying her naps yesterday and today in order to keep a bedtime for her that honors my need to actually talk to Chris during the day. If she sleeps too late, he and I never get to talk at all during the day. That's another post...

But today during this time, Lola came in after lots of struggles to lay peacefully in her bed next to us. As I tried to put the baby to sleep, Lola made some little talk (after being asked repeatedly to be quiet), and then settled down. When Pearl slept, I happily crawled in next to Lola and did some serious mama-kid snuggling. Guess what happened?

Gently stroking my cheek, she whispers:
"You are so special. You are the most special person in this house. Yeah. I love you."
Quiet tears.

"So special. You are so wonderful. And it's so wonderful to be the mama of one 4-month old baby and one 3 year old child."
I'm smiling, nuzzing her. Stunned.

"And that person sleeping over there, in that bed, she thinks you are wonderful, too. Yeah."

What kind of thing does the mother say to this besides, how did I fall into this story? This story with the happy ending?

2 Comments:

  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger Mar said…

    Skim! I'm so happy to find you blogging (I found you through Linda/Fourlittlebirds)!

    I haven't got a chance to read all the way back but I'll catch up soon. I still think of trying to get my sister to hook up with you sometime because you live so dern close to each other and I think you'd have lots in common. Ah well. Someday perhaps.

    Mar (Chiromom)

     
  • At 11:08 PM, Blogger Skim said…

    Hey! Don't you have a blog somewhere, too? Welcome!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home