Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Maria Lactans

Now you all know (OK, maybe you don't) that I was raised Catholic. Baptised, taught that women were inherently evil and that's why we're baptised, God made the whole universe, etc. I was also taught that Mary is the special ear to god for all girls and women, and that prayers to her would help when you really need it.

I am no longer Christian, and certainly not Catholic, but I still have a thing about Mary. My favorite thing about Mary is the beautiful suffering; the seven swords piercing her already blood-red heart are my favorite. Bonus points if she's holding fruit or nursing her baby. It seems that everyone worships a Great Mother, even the Catholics, in their own way.

Speaking of which, here is a fabulous site of pictures of Mary nursing Jesus, her baby and toddler. Yes! Toddler nursing! Mamas, I have to warn you about the misogynist stuff before hand: there is considerable text about women being discreet and obedient and shit like that. Um, ignore it or feel free to send the host a note. But I chose to ignore it since it makes no bones about being a Catholic web site.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi! I found your blog from MDC, I like your whole attitude towards life with children.
    I just had to comment on one thing, I was also raised Catholic, took 10 years away & ignored it & then came back as an adult. I have never been taught by anyone that women are inherently evil. I also found that my experience as an adult in the church was like night & day, a lot of the stuff I perceived a certain way as a kid, I was wrong about. A lot of the guilt & judgemental-ness just wasn`t there anymore.

    The concept of women being more evil in a religion is something you hear more with another one of the world`s main religions right now, but they disagree and hate to hear it too. I`m sorry that was your experience. I agree with you that there is something so wonderful about Mary.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home