Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Another Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again

Again, I have been reminded why I hate crowded "fun" things with children.

I have developed a strong aversion to all indoor events full of strangers and their children. Of narrow corridors, artificial air, clutter, ugly furniture, loud noises, strollers. Of packed streets, of long lines, of pushing and shoving to move you and your three year old along a narrow pathway to another loud and crowded venue. Perhaps I am just done with all of that.

We went to the Interntaional Folk Fair in Eau Claire today and I - gasp - hated it! I love learning about people, their origins, their cultures, their norms, their food, their quirks. But this felt like consumer madness. There were small rooms filled with cluttered tables staffed by beautifully-dressed people, with some things for sale, some to eat. Nothing easy to get to or enjoy. Just step up and grab some papers about that country and go to the next one, please. Maybe buy some representational food or craft/art while you're there. Ick. I hate this kind of approach to culture.

Remind me to stop taking my children to things like this. I'd rather stay at home and cook some curried tofu and cauliflower while drinking hot chai and watching a good movie. Now I'm going to try to relax and convince my tired body to release its headache.



An hour later:
Who am I kidding? Of course we'll go to this event again - what else is there in my little conservative xtian, white neck of the woods? And besides, Lola loved the steel drums.

And thanks to L., who made it all possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home