Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Octavia Butler

I just found out that Octavia Butler will be interviewed on my favorite radio news program, Democracy Now tomorrow.

Her science fiction, while not as profound or maybe just not as poetic as Ursula LeGuin's, is often just as interesting. Feminist, Black, far-seeing, and a self-admitted hermit in Seattle, she has written books in which the other is not only necessary and tragic, but also a persistent survivor in unimaginable circumstances. I enjoyed her exogenesis trilogy and you might, too. She won a Macarthur grant about 10 years ago.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ahhh! I missed that! gonna go check the archives, i looooove octavia butler!!!!

     
  • At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like Octavia Butler, but it's been a long time since I've read her. I'll have to go look her up again. Are you into science fiction in general? Any other favorite authors?

     
  • At 8:50 PM, Blogger Skim said…

    I do love sci fi - mostly by women/feminist authors. It didn't sart that way; my very first book was a collection of stories called Driftglass, with a story by one of my faves, Samuel Delany. A man! Ursula LeGuin, Philip K. Dick, and also fantasy/fairy tale stuff by Angela Carter are my core authors.

    Kim

     

Post a Comment

<< Home