Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Zine teaser

What follows in an excerpt from an essay in my next issue of mama, #4. It's the last one describing my meeting with my birth mom's family.

Mama #4 will be out as soon as we scrape up the $$ for a black ink jet printer cartridge (anyone have a spare black for a 15?) and some copying fees...

********************

From: Seeking My Birth Family, Part 3

In locating my birth aunt, I understood now that I had a place to figure out. A new role to add to my already complicated sense of identity. How would it all shake out with my family? How would I get along with my birth relatives? What did I expect to get from all of this? These hard questions were not so complicated after all; I approached it all with an open mind and, at times, a vulnerable heart. I cried a lot after I learned that Judy died. I cried, too, in the car on the way to our first hotel stay in Illinois. To my partner I explained that I wasn’t sure what I would need throughout all of this, but that I would let him know as I went. He supported me the whole time, with his whole person. And together we drove on down to meet my kin.

To prepare for the trip I packed some family photos: me growing up, as a baby, as a girl scout, with my parents, Lola as a baby. I didn’t have a lot to share, but I brought what I could and what I thought someone who wondered about me but missed my entire childhood might be interested in. The first family-related stop was my parents’ house. There we washed some diapers, filled up our bellies, got a good night’s sleep, played at a park. Talked a little. I was surprised to discover my own parents’ mild anxiety about the trip, which they let only a little show. As I shared with them the pictures of the DeBord family P. had sent to me they had so many questions. They never said what their hearts shouted: can we meet her? Their sadness for my loss (of Judy) was deep and wide. They grilled me about our itinerary, which I shared: next day to P’s to meet at a park; then, off to set up camp nearby; spend the day together after that, doing whatever catching up is possible in such a short time; meet my other birth aunt and then off to Missouri to visit the graves of my dead relatives; then to meet my extended adopted family to celebrate my grandma’s 90th birthday; then, the loooong drive back home to Wisconsin. Lots of driving, lots of car time, lots of overnights with an almost-three year old. A busy schedule for someone in need of thinking time, of the still quiet time to process all those pesky questions about loving and family and loss.

continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home