Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

dystopian fiction link

Another short post... kids are napping!

Found a great link. The entire essay is quite good; it's really a review of another author's writing, but hey, it's still interesting.

From the Boston Globe's essay:
But when it comes to the power of science fiction to spring us from what he claims is our current state of political paralysis, Jameson is enthusiastic. ''It's only when people come to realize that there is no alternative," he said, ''that they react against it, at least in their imaginations, and try to think of alternatives."

And that is exactly what I love about this kind of fiction - it validates my natural impulse to solve unsolvable social problems with my own ideas. I heart utopia.

And thanks to Boing for bringing this to my attention.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home