Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry

Christmas!

We had fun watching the girls open their gifts, a few of which were from "santa". Now, we don't do Santa - we don't claim he is real or rides a sleigh or has reindeer, etc. But this year both girls decided that they wanted to believe in Santa and pretend that he gives them gifts. So, dutifully, Santa gave them each one gift they really wished for. They were thrilled!

I made everyone personal cards that made them laugh or smile, which was super fun. A Birth Story for Pearl, A Love Letter for Lola, and a Mystical Vacation for Tata. Stick figures decorate every page... my favorite kind of drawing, since I am completely art- and craft-challenged. Plus PJs, clothes, and a writing-time gift for Tata. And despite the craziness of December, with my dad dying and being down there for his funeral, I managed to squeak out mailing cards to loved ones.

Warning: Pity Party Ahead

So I was feeling really good about giving so much this year, spending time making and doing for others. But then the pity party started: not one card. From anyone for any of us. The only gifts for me were a couple shells and a rock from the girls (which of course I appreciate, in a motherly sort of way) and a little hand-written note card from Tata. I also bought myself a couple of food stocking stuffers from "Santa" so I would definitely have something to open... but damn. Not one Christmas/New Year's card from anyone. It sucks that the year has been so sucky for everyone all around, and I have felt that, too. To all of you, in the midst of your own trauma, I am deeply sorry this has been such a hard month.

Today I am thankful that I had the energy to be creative for my loved ones, because that was totally fun. But I really like opening presents...

This afternoon we're off to a sledding party at a friend's house. With all the snow and sleet and ice, it should be a regular olympic luge track! I might bring mulled wine.

Update: Roads too treacherous to travel, and Tata was all ears when I talked about my disappointment. After a bit of talking he said he's going to do 12 days of christmas gifting with me! More than gifts, I feel like he cares about my need this holiday to open a gift.

It's funny, because no other years have I ever cared about whether I get a gift. This year my reaction was about how vulnerable I've felt, especially during this weird and sometimes stressful grieving time. Tata absolutely gets it. And that's why I love him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home