Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Beans

This morning we harvested our first real batch of green beans. We chose to eat them with lunch, and I prepped them, filled a skillet with a little water and a little olive oil and a very little sea salt, heated them on medium for about two minutes, and prepared to enjoy the fruits of our labor. But "enjoy" is half the word I need - these beans were more than delicious or juicy or sweet or tasty. It is difficult to describe the energy they contained; how I felt eating them, fresh off the vine; the qualities of their flavor; how they crunched in my mouth. Lola and I just sat in the living room, muching beans as we read a book, variously moaning with pleasure each time we chewed a new one. They really were that good. This is not merely a psychological reaction to all that hard work and effort to save them from the deer. This is a goddamned revolution!

Next year, I plant twice as many.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home