Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Sunday, December 27, 2009

What's it like outside of linear time?

I've been making mulled wine occasionally over the last week, and I have to say it's very tasty. I use cardamom seeds, whole cloves, cinnamon sticks, and orange peel and whack it all to bits and throw it in to mull with some cheap red wine and honey. Tastes much better at room temperature, and after adding a little brandy.

And I've been mulling around the different-ness of these days between the Solstice and the two weeks after Christmas. Christians celebrate them as Christmas and some the 12 days after Christmas, but I prefer focusing on the changes at hand - loops of the sun, growing dim and returning; the cold hard death of the year and its inevitable return; loss; foolishness; the absence of linear time during sacred or special times of physical transition, such as the death of the year, or the death of one's father.

It is a joy to me that I was disappointed this Christmas. Because of this, Tata recognized my need and has, with his gifting to me each of the 12 days after Christmas, is celebrating the very transitions that make and remake: the world, my self, his own self; complete, of course, with all the accompanying emotions and responsibilities. It's really starting to feel sacred to me, my tears full of salt, my hands full of bread and wine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home