Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Know a good Book?

Twice in one night, can you believe it? It must be the port.

I'm looking for book recommendations. Yes, oh yes, from You, fellow readers. I have a couple credits to burn at the Paperback Book Swap, and I want some juicy tomes. My current interests are:

really spectacular children's/girl's books; the kind you can keep and read for years
sex
so-called "green magic" - plant and cooking witchery
gods, including ancient Polish/European gods and Pan [my personal favorite]
the Hindu goddess kali/kali-ma
writing
dreams and dream interpretation
old european goddess worship/ritual
inspiring nature and science fiction writing
killer poetry [not necessarily carnivore poetry; more like poetry that knocks your socks off]

OK, lay it on me. I can let you all know if I order anything you've recommended, and what I think of it all. But all recommendations are most welcome!

4 Comments:

  • At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think it was A Little Book of Dreams (although I think there might be two different books by that name) that had a section I really liked relating the symbology of dreamland to the four stages of alchemy.

    One of my favorite fiction stories of all time is Solitude by Ursula K. Leguin (mildly SF, very philosophical)

     
  • At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My library doesn't know about A Little Book of Dreams. Do you have an author for that?

    And I love any recommendations for LeGuin. She is my all-time favorite author, of any genre.

    -Kim

     
  • At 12:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    One great series of books for kids is the LITTLE LIT Series
    http://www.little-lit.com/
    - I Actually enjoy it quite a bit as well.
    It's not really on your request list, but one of the most consitantly readable series out there that I like is GRANTA
    http://www.granta.com/
    -Not the least of which is because you often find it on sale for $1 at the Half Price Books here. But that has nothing to do with the quality of it.
    Here's a site for your amusement
    http://members.aol.com/jesusimages/index.htm
    I'll send more reading stuff later - It was great to see you all.

     
  • At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That Jesus page is well-meaning, but, well... CREEPY as shit! Now I can't get the image of that long-haired but clean-cut Jesus hovering over everything out of my mind. Sigh.

    That was me. -Kim

     

Post a Comment

<< Home