Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

time

I have these next few hours to myself. At home, a rare occasion. So I can form most of a complete thought, read a book, bathe, do nothing if I choose.

I am remembering time, the utter profusion of time - before breakfast, at work, at home on the weekend, at night. Time with no constraints, without limit. Time of quiet, of raucous joy, of no children, of work-related exhaustion. A time far away, so lost as to be forgotten and strange in its structureless abundance: there is only doing for me there, the petty and urgent concerns of relationship, and food, and income. During my days now I wonder how I had so many opportunities for pursuing whatever the damn hell I wanted, whenever I needed. A time when exhaustion had a beginning and end, was not a way of life. When demands also had limit, did not push me with their living breath and human needs for touch, love, reassurance, precious bonds. When I could talk all morning to whomever I chose, walk as fast and as far as I'd like, in snow and rain and clear sun and know the time of my body in motion, in time.

Having had quite a life before children, with Chris, I feel both grateful for so many selfish years and awed that they existed at all. And the tricky thing is that even though I did appreciate how rare my privilege was then, it has created in me the continued need for private space, for thinking, for the pleasant and earned silences of the near-forty. Not to mention the choice ecstatic experiences of the near-forty, as well.

And now I do succumb to days of self-pity and loss, days of great anticipation for nights without nursing, comforting, nursing the sad and scared. And that's OK, it's how life goes for Mama in the beginning years of spent patience and longing. Maybe that's how it goes for you, too. If so, take my electronic hand and hug me through the ether. The day is already 20 minutes shorter, possessed less of itself than with the return of others, hand in hand, in the tired snow.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    An electronic hug is happening now. Do you feel it? To a time well spent together. I love you, Mama.

    Tata

     
  • At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am with you, Mama. As tired as I am, I cannot imagine a time without nursing their sadness. In a few years time, we will wish them back. Lately, I miss them already.

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    But you will soon have yet another full-time nursling. I actually do feel close to my wits' end about nursing and my feelings of enough, but we're none of us ready and willing to wean any time soon.

     
  • At 8:35 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I remember when my "me time" started sometime after 9pm and only if everything else was taken care of. You're lucky though, to have had so many fabulous years with fabulous freedom. But this is fabulous too, the messy little hands, wet runny noses, snuggles, giggles, the "lets pretend that I'm.....", etc. I just wouldn't trade that time at all.

     
  • At 10:42 PM, Blogger Skim said…

    lynette!

    You are so right on about the me time. I do feel lucky about having a partner who can give that time when it's absolutely necessary, and to not have to work or go to school while raising young children. I am enjoying that male privilege...

    But OH for reliable, trustworthy, close-by relatives who would take care of my brood sometimes..

    And the girls are just amazing. I'm glad to have created the opportunity to enjoy them right now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home