Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Travels

We're heading down south again, next week. Just the girls and I. we won't be staying too terribly long, but we will get some quality time with the aging (and ailing) grandparents, which Lola is really, really looking forward to. It's taken me by surprise, her relationship with my mom. I am thrilled she loves my mom, and I'm thrilled we live far enough away that I don't have to interact with her all the time. We manage. The downside to our upcoming travels is that it's expensive to travel and I have to do all the driving. The upside is we are getting two hotel stays, one in Madison! And of course, I can't wait to see my parents. As crappy as they have been, they love us and I love them and wish we lived closer.

And I just finished a book called Sorrow in Our Heart: the Life of Tecumseh [or something very like that] by Allan Eckert. Damn if it wasn't the first historical biography that I devoured. The author's style is unusual and nothing short of compelling and addictive. I highly recommend it for anyone who is interested in Native life, Native history, inspiring resistance to Americans and southern Illinois/Kentucky/Ohio history. And if anyone wondered, I think Eckert, the author, is a white guy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home