Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Sunday, November 05, 2006

The sound of music

Since my life is otherwise too troubling for some, I thought I'd share some cute shit about being mama to my littlest. And maybe my eldest, too.

We recently watched the Sound of Music as a family. I felt all parental, singing along with the songs in the movie right there with Julie Andrews and her prim British accent. Ha! Now Pearl goes around singing "the hills are alive with the sound of music" when she sees the DVD or when someone else mentions the movie. It is adorable! Lola mimics the way I sing it, too - melodramatically. There are many, many moments of spontaneous singing in the house and I would have it no other way.

Pearl is scooting and tething and sleeping a bit better. She uses many words that only we can understand, and many more that no one can understand. It is not babbling - she will repeat a specific phrase many times in the hope that we, parental morons, will finally get it. But alas, we are unable, and she cries and cries so miserably. Sigh. She has sounds for so many words: nursing, hungry, berries, done, no, yes, Lola, Tata, Mama, outside, inside, switch nursing sides, laying down, bath, dog, cat, grandma, moon, sky, skull, laundry, pee and probably more I can't think of right now. She has a sign for bird, but no other signs except for all done. She can identify most of her body parts. She is amazingly clever.

Pearl sings and snuggles; she loves to be held and to hug back. She gives me baby kisses and I wonder how I got to be so lucky.

Lola is learning her letters, singing and dancing and making up all kinds of crazy stuff. The kid is a natural storyteller. Such a rich fantasy life. And she's a little amazon! I bet she's four feet tall already. Maybe taller! She and Pearl chase each other around the house, making each other scream and shriek. They laugh gleefully at each other's transgressions. They are sisters.

There is so much more, but dang if you all didn't need to hear something more than the frustrated ramblings in my own head.

Love me, love my ramblings, children.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home