Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Friday, August 04, 2006

party or pirate acts, you decide

Well things here in menomonie are settling and unsettling.

First and foremost, I'm turning 37 in about 2 weeks. We were trying to find something to do that felt like a vacation for me - looking for a cabin to huddle in, thought about camping (no way with a shrieking baby), driving to a lodge and charging rooms on my credit card, etc. However, none of that has really come through. Today I asked Lola what she thought I should do on my birthday and she suggested a party. Voila! Perhaps I will. It's been ages since *I've* had a party, and it would be very nice to have people stop in for a while and be nice to me on purpose.

See, the last week or so has been pretty stressful, imbalanced. Nothing I've touched seems to have worked right. At first I thought Mercury was retrograde (communication stuff), but that's not it. I'm just feeling a bit less confident and self-assured. And when that happens, I'm more likely to be defensive or short-tempered or prone to crying or just plain cranky. Luckily I have a delightfully understanding partner who will listen to me talk about how I feel off and offer support unconditionally. I understand that this, too, shall pass, but I might just be ready for some people to remind me of who I am and forget all that other crap by just showing up to wish me a happy birthday. But in the midst of my funk, I'm afraid that no one will show up, and which would be worse, no one coming by or simply not throwing the party? I'm willing to take that chance, but because we don't have many friends in real life locally, this could be a bust. It could be fun, but it could also be a total flop. And would I have to make my own cake?

Readers, what do you think? Should I throw myself a party or find something else that's fun to do just with my family, like rent a pontoon boat and commit increasingly drunken pirate acts on the unwary boaters of Lake Menomin?

On a brighter note, Chris's writing gig might pay! And how cool is that? I mean, I knew he was a super cool pirate papa, but now the rest of the world will, too. Hooray for Rad Dad, the zine, for recognizing Chris as the star he always was.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would come to your party, mama.

    And I would even bring cake of any delicious flavor you wanted.

    I hope your funk alleviates itself and you can find some peace and balance this week.

    Louise

     
  • At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Why can't you do both? Have a Pontoon party and ask folks to bring a dish or delicious drunken beverage instead of a present ... AND then just issue an open invite to your friends to come a callin' whenever they can....that way you could end up with both the party as well as a steady stream of folks who can't make the party date because we live in different time zones.....

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    shucks, I keep forgetting to sign my name when I comment.....what kind of lawyer am I anyway :)


    --you know who

     

Post a Comment

<< Home