Mama's Big Ol' Blog

My old blog. Like nostalgia for the old mama over here.

Monday, September 14, 2009

Neighbors, Part 2

Found this useful, if not entirely updated, site for local farms: local harvest. After searching my area, was surprised to notice way more organic CSA farms in a relative cluster of rural goodness right around here. In fact, one is within walking distance, and another two are within an easy bike ride. And more within 20 minutes in a car. Amazing! And those are the active links...
I really love where we live.

But I don't love our next-door neighbors.

Past-due hugely pregnant neighbor R. was outside yesterday yelling, very upset, screaming at the top of her lungs to be let in, then screams "Help! Help! [desperately] Somebody Please Help Me!" Bloodcurdling screams that echo all around our hills. So loud I could hear them while cooking lunch, making my adrenaline spike. Tata is in the woods marking property lines and hears most of this, gets there soon as he can and I go inside to call 911. I am thinking maybe it's another rabid raccoon, maybe her baby is hurt, who knows?? She is still outside when he gets there (he doesn't go on to the property, creepy silent neighbor dude P. owns a gun and knows how to shoot, and who knows what the fuck kind of argument or whatever is going on), crying, head down in the garage, tells him she is OK and the baby is OK. Turns out she was locked out of her house by boyfriend P., with her sick toddler inside. Something about she wanted to leave with her toddler and P. wouldn't let her take her. When Tata arrives she is still locked out. What a scene. He tells her that if she needs a safe place to go or make a phone call she should come over any time.

Sheriff arrives 20 minutes later, it's all calm and quiet. We don't hear anything or see anything for the rest of the day, and decide to go to the park and out to dinner for a positive change of scenery anyway. Both kids ask, many times, "Why did P. lock R. out of the house?" I wish I knew something to say except "he's a controlling asshole, honey." Now I have no reason at all to like P.

Tata calls their landlord, who is also R's relative, and with whom we are friendly, gives him the synopsis, and tells him we are worried about R. and her daughter's safety. Landlord is awesomely responsive and a nice guy, this is good. We find out from him that R's mom doesn't want to intervene between the two of them (R and P). That's motherly love for you.

Today still-pregnant R. won't look at me when I drive by, but the dude does, gives me a little wave.

I totally hate having neighbors.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Marvelous old world. Except there's people in it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home